RefWorks offers add-ins for Microsoft Word RefWorksThere are two versions of the add-in: Write-N-Cite and RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM). IQuick cite tool to insert citations.
NB! Write-N-Cite does NOT work with Office 365 (Word online).
For Turku UAS computers, please request Turku UAS Service Desk for Write-N-Cite installation!
RefWorks Citation Manager compatibility:
Additional information on compatibility and system requirements.
Write-N-Cite is a utility that allows users to run RefWorks in Microsoft Word in order to drop citations and to create a bibliography. You can install Write-N-Cite to your own computer. Turku UAS staff can request a Write-N-Cite installation from Turku UAS Service Desk servicedesk(a)turkuamk.fi.
See for more information on Write-N-Cite compatibility requirements at the top of the page.
Write-N-Cite in PCs and Macs
Go to the Tools > Tools page in RefWorks. Scroll down in Tools page to find Cite in Microsoft Words. Select the 32-bit or 64-bit version. If you don't know which version you should install or how to install Write-N-cite in Macs, please read the instruction provided in the page.
NB! Please check details about the installation and Write-N-Cite compatibility with Windows, Mac and different versions of Microsoft Word.
How to log in to RefWorks in Word:
1. Open the Proquest tab.
2. Click the Log in button.
3. Log in with your RefWorks user ID and click Log in.
4. Select which version of Refworks (old or new) you wish to use.
After you have logged in the Proquest tab will change into RefWorks tab. If you have made any changes in your own RefWorks, please synchronize RefWorks and Write-N-Cite by clicking Sync My Database. You can now start using Write-N-Cite.
RefWorks covers hundreds of citation styles. Citations and footnotes will appear in the text with that style you have chosen. The Harvard style is recommended when writing a thesis at Turku UAS. Citation styles vary in different fields of science and journals.
Select the citation style:
1. Select the style from the Style drop-down menu.
2. Click the name of the style and the citations will appear in that style.
3. To change the style at any stage of your writing process go to the Style drop-down menu and select another style.
4. You can add styles to Write-N-Cite Other styles list. If you cannot find the style you need in the Other styles list, login to your RefWorks account and activate the style. In RefWorks: Select Create bibliography and search the style you wish to add in Search for styles box. Create a bibliography in this style in your RefWorks account. The style is now activated.
Go back to Word and open the Write-N-Cite tab. Click Sync my Database button. The style will now appear in this list.
1. To insert a new citation, click Insert Citation > Insert New. The recently inserted citations appear automatically under the Insert Citation button.
2. Open the Insert/Edit Citation box to browse your references by folder or to search for a specific citation. You can view the references by author, year or title.
3. Right-click on the item to see the full reference details.
4. Click on the reference you wish to insert into your work. You will see a preview of the formatted citation in your current output style. Add more references to the citation by using the + icon in the Compose Citation area and click the reference you wish to insert.
The references are added to the Compose Citation box.
Adding page numbers to a citation
Use the Suffix box to add page numbers, e.g. 23 - 24. After typing the page numbers, press the tabulator to see your edit in the preview.
Hiding authors in a citation
Use the Hide Author feature if you wish to insert a citation in the beginning or in the end of a clause. E.g. "After Altman (2012)...". Select the preferred citation and click Hide Author.
Removing one reference:
1. Move the cursor to the citation you wish to edit and double-click the citation to open the Insert/Edit Citation box.
2. Go to the Compose Citation box and select the reference you wish to remove.
3. Remove the reference by clicking the - icon.
4. Click OK. The bibliography will be updated automatically.
Removing a whole citation
In this case Write-N-Cite Edit does not work. Instructions:
To remove a bibliography please click Remove Bibliography. Do not use other functions in Word to remove a bibliography.
Create a backup after you have finished your Word document. Then select Remove Field Codes. This function will remove all field codes and all you have left is a text. You can now edit citations and bibliography in Word.
IMPORTANT NOTE! Please make sure that you have created a backup before clicking the Remove Field Codes button. You cannot undo this function and you need a backup if you wish to edit your text later (e.g. add citations).
RefWorks Citation Manager (RCM) is a Microsoft Word add-in for accessing, inserting and formatting citations, footnotes and bibliographies in your Word document. RCM runs on Office 2016 and in PCs and Macs.
Installing RefWorks Citation Manager
See for more information on RCM compatibility requirements at the top of the page.
The Quick cite tool enables you to insert citations, if you are not using Microsoft Word, or have no add-on installed in Word. Click the Create Bibliography icon at the top menu and select Quick cite.
1. Select your citation style
Select your preferred citation style.
2. Selecting and copying citations
Next, select one or more references you wish to cite. Click the clipboard icon to copy the citation to your clipboard. After this you can paste the citation to your word processor.
3. Create the bibliography
Use the list at Insert citations to select the citations you would like to use in your bibliography. Then click Continue to bibliography and copy the bibliography to your clipboard.
Video on using Quick cite
If you need to create a bibliography, you need to have all the references you wish to use in the same folder. If you need to add references to your bibliography from several different folders, select All documents at the top menu. Select the preferred references and click Create bibliography at the top menu. If you wish to use all references there is no need to select all references.
Select the citation style and copy the bibliography to your clipboard.